This collection is comprised of photographs of fire stations and personnel of the Atlanta Fire Department. Also included are photographs of notable fires in Atlanta during the 20th century. Most of the photographs are group portraits of fire companies taken between 1890 and 1928, and include images of fire stations number 1 through 20. Individual firemen are identified in many of the photographs. There are also photographs of fire companies affiliated with the aforementioned stations. Examples of these include hook & ladder companies, hose companies, chemical engine companies, and engine and hose companies. The collection features photographs of officers and other prominent individuals such as Chiefs William Cody and William Cummings, along with a group portrait that includes Henry Karwisch, William C. Reynolds, and George H. Deihl, the chief officers of the last Volunteer Fire Department in Atlanta. Also included is an 1898 portrait of the baseball team sponsored by the Fire Department. The remaining images are photographs of fires in Atlanta. Included are photographs of the Terminal District Fire of 1908, the J. P. Allen Building Fire of 1916, and the Great Atlanta Fire of 1917.