Author: Toombs, Robert Augustus, 1810-1885.
Robert Toombs, letters to Julia Ann DuBose Toombs, 1850-1867
About the Archival Collection
Title: Letters to Julia Ann DuBose Toombs, 1850-1867.
Description:.25 linear ft.
Arrangement: Arranged in chronological order.
Biographical note: Robert Toombs (1810-1885) lawyer, U.S. Senator (1844-1861), Confederate General, married Julia Ann DuBose, resided in Wilkes County, Georgia.
Summary: The collection consists of correspondence from Robert Toombs to his wife, Julia Ann DuBose Toombs in Washington, Wilkes County, Georgia from 1850-1867. During 1850-1859 his letters come from Washington, D.C. while he served in the U.S. Senate. During the Civil War, he wrote from Virginia (1862) and Atlanta, Georgia (1864). Following the war, letters are written from Paris (1866-67) while he was in exile. The correspondence generally discusses current events; his land holdings in South Georgia, Alabama, and Texas; people; other soldiers; and his wish to be with his wife and family.
- Toombs, Julia Ann, 1830-1883.
- Confederate States of America. Army.
- Legislators--United States.
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864.
- Generals--Confederate States of America.
- Wilkes County (Ga.)
- United States--Politics and government--1849-1861.
- Washington (Ga.)
- Georgia--Politics and government--1775-1865.
- Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Georgia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
Location: Main 3rd floor Hargrett Manuscripts, University of Georgia Libraries
- Finding aid available in repository.
- Collection number: MS1785.
Return to Robert Toombs, letters to Julia Ann DuBose Toombs Homepage
For further information about this collection, please contact: Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library: Phone: (706) 542-7123 / FAX: (706) 542-4144 / Email: email@example.com