|Click here to view the item (new window)|
|Creator:||Owens, Hubert B.|
|Title:||Phinizy Residence (Augusta, Ga.)|
|Description:||Located at: 519 Greene Street, Augusta, Ga.|
The rectangular, three story, brick structure was built in 1832 and is considered an example of the transitional style as it has both late Federal and Greek Revival elements. The stairs to the entrance are horseshoe-shaped and feature a wrought iron railing. The house was built with a central hall plan. The third floor and a porch on the west side of the house were added before 1926. After 1937 the original chimneys were removed and replaced by one central chimney. After 1926, the building was no longer used as a residence and has been used as an Elks Club
clubhouse and as a funeral home. For more information, see John Linley's The Georgia Catalog: Historic American Buildings Survey ; a guide to the architecture of the state published by the University of Georgia Press in 1982.
Slide annotated: "Augusta, Ga. Greene st. Old Phinizy house Elks Club circa/83."
Date of structure: 1832.
|Subjects:||Federal | Greek Revival | European | Brick | Inorganic material | Stucco | Plaster | Coating (material) | Houses | Dwellings | Architecture--Georgia--Augusta | Architecture--Georgia--Richmond County | Augusta (Ga.) | Richmond County (Ga.)|
|Online Publisher:||Digital Library of Georgia, 2002|
|Rights and Usage:||Please contact repository for terms regarding reproduction and use. This work is the property of The University of Georgia. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text. The information contained in this database is the exclusive property of the University of Georgia. Educational use is permitted; however, the content may not be re-purposed, reproduced, quoted without proper citation, or offered for sale in any form without the express written permission of the College of Environment and Design, University of Georgia and/or the owners of the original images if applicable.|
Cite as: [title of image], Hubert B. Owens Collection, Box 45, Owens Library, School of Environment and Design, The University of Georgia
|Related Materials:||Forms part of: Hubert B. Owens Collection|
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/larc/id:hbo0207|
|Related Institutions:||Digital Library of Georgia|
|Collection Information:||Historic Architecture and Landscapes of Georgia: The Hubert Bond Owens and John Linley Image Collections at the Owens Library|
Home » Item Display