|Click here to view the item (new window)|
|Title:||Columns (Swan House, Atlanta, Ga.)|
Columns (Inman House, Atlanta, Ga.)
|Description:||Located at: 3099 Andrews Drive, Atlanta, Ga.|
Two-story stuccoed brick mansion with hipped roof featuring in front a two-story portico with entablature and pediment supported by four heroic unfluted Doric columns and sculptured busts in niches to either side of the entrance. The rear is distinguished by a terraced waterfall fountain running between stairways culminating in horseshoe steps ascending to the entrance. The rear entrance has stone trim and a pediment surmounted by an urn. Edward H. Inman built the house in the 1920s and Spencer Tunnell was the landscape architect. Wood carving was primarily by H. J. Millard. For more information see Linley, John. The Georgia Catalog: Historic American Buildings Survey. Athens, Ga.: University of Georgia Press, c1982, p. 272.
Slide annotated: "Ga.College at Milledgeville."
Date of structure: 1928.
|Subjects:||Inman, Edward Hamilton, 1881-1931 | Inman, Emily Caroline MacDougald, 1881-1965 | Tunnell, Spencer | Millard, Herbert John, 1883-1973 | Atlanta Historical Society | Atlanta History Center (Atlanta, Ga.) | Classical Revival | Brick | Inorganic material | Stucco | Plaster | Coating (material) | Atlanta (Ga.) | Houses | Dwellings | Historic house museums | Museums | Exhibition buildings | Columns (architectural elements) | Architectural elements | Architecture--Georgia--Atlanta | Architecture--Georgia--Fulton County | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.)|
|Online Publisher:||Digital Library of Georgia, 2002|
|Rights and Usage:||Please contact repository for terms regarding reproduction and use. This work is the property of The University of Georgia. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text. The information contained in this database is the exclusive property of the University of Georgia. Educational use is permitted; however, the content may not be re-purposed, reproduced, quoted without proper citation, or offered for sale in any form without the express written permission of the College of Environment and Design, University of Georgia and/or the owners of the original images if applicable.|
Cite as: [title of image], John Linley, Box 8
|Related Materials:||Forms part of: John Linley Collection|
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/larc/id:jlc0336|
|Related Institutions:||Digital Library of Georgia|
|Collection Information:||Historic Architecture and Landscapes of Georgia: The Hubert Bond Owens and John Linley Image Collections at the Owens Library|
Home » Item Display