|Click here to view the item (new window)|
|Title:||Dungeness (Cumberland Island, Ga.)|
|Description:||Located at: Cumberland Island, Ga.|
Stone ruins of Carnegie family vacation home. The history of Dungeness dates to James Oglethorpe, founder of the Georgia colony, who built two forts on the island in 1736. In 1783, Revolutionary War General Nathaniel Greene acquired nearly 11,000 acres of the island in exchange for a bad debt. His widow built a house in 1803, which burned in 1866. The property was purchased by Andrew Carnegie's brother Thomas from General William Davis (former Confederate soldier) for his wife Lucy in 1882. Lucy Carnegie also built several homes on the island for her children: Plum Orchard mansion for her son George Lauder Carnegie and Greyfield House for her daughter Margaret "Retta" Carnegie. The Carnegies moved out of Dungeness in 1925 because of costly upkeep, but the estate was maintained through Lucy Carnegie's estate. In 1959, Dungeness was burned to the ground by an arsonist. The ruins remain, though, and include what is called Tabby House, the oldest house on Cumberland Island and the only building the Carnegies spared when they rebuilt the area from the ruins of the Greene estate. The house was built around 1800 of tabby, a kind of concrete made of oyster shells, lime and sand.
Date of structure: 1884.
|Subjects:||Free Style (architecture) | Stone | Rock | Inorganic material | Vacation houses | Houses | Dwellings | Ruins | Architecture--Georgia--Cumberland Island | Architecture--Georgia--Camden County | Miller, Phineas--Homes and haunts | Greene, Catharine Littlefield, 1753-1814--Homes and haunts | Carnegie, Thomas Morrison, 1844-1886--Homes and haunts | Carnegie, Lucy C.--Homes and haunts | Cumberland Island (Ga.) | Camden County (Ga.)|
|Online Publisher:||Digital Library of Georgia, 2002|
|Rights and Usage:||Please contact repository for terms regarding reproduction and use. This work is the property of The University of Georgia. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text. The information contained in this database is the exclusive property of the University of Georgia. Educational use is permitted; however, the content may not be re-purposed, reproduced, quoted without proper citation, or offered for sale in any form without the express written permission of the College of Environment and Design, University of Georgia and/or the owners of the original images if applicable.|
Cite as: [title of image], John Linley, Box 8
|Related Materials:||Forms part of: John Linley Collection|
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/larc/id:jlc0344|
|Related Institutions:||Digital Library of Georgia|
|Collection Information:||Historic Architecture and Landscapes of Georgia: The Hubert Bond Owens and John Linley Image Collections at the Owens Library|
Home » Item Display