|Click here to view the item (new window)|
|Title:||Billings House (Columbus, Ga.)|
Swift Mansion (Columbus, Ga.)
|Description:||Located at: 303 Twelfth Street, Columbus, Ga.|
Two-story stuccoed brick house, featuring a two-story composite portico around the three sides of the front wing supported by eleven heroic fluted Corinthian columns. The columns were originally Doric. George P. Swift, father of Mrs. J. P. Kyle, reorganized and started the Muscogee Manufacturing Company just after the war. He bought the house from Rothschild and paid for it with Confederate money. During Wilson's raid, the house was used by Union soldiers. In 1898 the roof burned and the interior was changed. For more information see Linley, John. The Georgia Catalog: Historic American Buildings Survey. Athens, Ga.: University of Georgia Press, c1982, p. 288.
Slide annotated: "Swift House, Columbus"
Date of structure: 1857.
|Subjects:||Rothschild family | Kyle, J. P., Mrs. | Greek Revival | European | Brick | Inorganic material | Stucco | Plaster | Coating (material) | Wood (plant material) | Plant material | Houses | Mansions | Dwellings | Architecture--Georgia--Columbus | Architecture--Georgia--Muscogee County | Billings, Dr.--Homes and haunts | Swift, George Parker, 1815-1897--Homes and haunts | Columbus (Ga.) | Muscogee County (Ga.)|
|Online Publisher:||Digital Library of Georgia, 2002|
|Rights and Usage:||Please contact repository for terms regarding reproduction and use. This work is the property of The University of Georgia. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text. The information contained in this database is the exclusive property of the University of Georgia. Educational use is permitted; however, the content may not be re-purposed, reproduced, quoted without proper citation, or offered for sale in any form without the express written permission of the College of Environment and Design, University of Georgia and/or the owners of the original images if applicable.|
Cite as: [title of image], John Linley Collection, Box 19, Owens Library, School of Environment and Design, The University of Georgia
|Related Materials:||Forms part of: John Linley Collection|
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/larc/id:jlc0663|
|Related Institutions:||Digital Library of Georgia|
|Collection Information:||Historic Architecture and Landscapes of Georgia: The Hubert Bond Owens and John Linley Image Collections at the Owens Library|
Home » Item Display