Home » Item Display

THE POTTER HOUSE ATLANTA Photo from nature By G. N. Barnard

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Photographs | StillImage
Creator: Barnard, George N., 1819-1902
Title: THE POTTER HOUSE ATLANTA Photo from nature By G. N. Barnard
Date: 1864
Description: "Atlanta, Georgia, 1864. "The Potter (Ponder) House." This photograph was taken shortly after the Battle of Atlanta in 1864 by George N. Barnard. This photograph was part of a book published in 1866 by Barnard called "Views of Shermans Campaign." At that time, the book sold for $100.00 and was a commercial failure. Ephraim G. Ponder acquired the land and built this residence in 1857. The smaller structure visible to the left was the kitchen. During the Battle of Atlanta, Ponders house was used by Confederate sharpshooters, and was heavily bombarded by Union artillery causing extensive damage. After the battle, the house was never rebuilt or reoccupied by the Ponder family. Of interest in Ponder's personal life is the fact that he filed for divorce from his younger wife in 1861 on the grounds that she had committed adultery, was a drunkard, and had threatened him with a pistol. The divorce was granted 10 years later after Ponder had left Atlanta. Ponder, an Atlanta pioneer, owned 65 slaves before the Civil War. The slaves were skilled mechanics whom other landowners hired for mechanical work. Two of his slaves were to become famous in their own right. Festus Flipper one of Ponder's ex-slaves opened a shoe shop on Decatur Street shortly after the War. One son, Henry Flipper, became the first Black to graduate from the United States Military Academy at West Point. Another son, Joseph, became a Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, and served as a Chancellor of the Morris Brown University in Atlanta.

This is an albumen print."--from field notes

Subjects: Architecture--Georgia--Atlanta | Armed Forces--Georgia--Atlanta | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.)
Contributors: Georgia. Dept. of Archives and History
Online Publisher: [Athens, Ga. : Digital Library of Georgia], 2004
Rights and Usage: Held by Georgia Archives, 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260.

Contact repository re: reproduction and usage.

Persistent Link to Item: http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/vang/id:ful0896-84

Related Institutions: Digital Library of Georgia
Georgia. Dept. of Archives and History
Collection Information: Vanishing Georgia