Home » Item Display

North Augusta, S.C., Hunting Lodge

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Picture postcards | StillImage
Title: North Augusta, S.C., Hunting Lodge
Date: 1900-1914
Description: Turn-of-the-twentieth century postcard image of the Hunting Lodge, highlighting its English half-timber and Tudor architectural detailing. Built by the North Augusta Hotel Company in the early 1900s as an actual hunting lodge, Hunting Lodge was closely associated with the Hampton Terrace Hotel, a winter resort in North Augusta, S.C. Hunting Lodge was renamed Palmetto Lodge in 1908 when it was purchased by New York native John W. Herbert. In later years Palmetto Lodge was occupied by local author Edison Marshall.

Front of postcard: "8191."

Original postcard scanned and described by the Digital Library of Georgia as a part of Georgia HomePLACE: an initiative of the Georgia Public Library Service and GALILEO.

Subjects: Hunting lodges--South Carolina--North Augusta | Hunting Lodge (North Augusta, S.C.) | Hampton Terrace Hotel (North Augusta, S.C.) | North Augusta (S.C.) | Aiken County (S.C.)
Contributors: East Central Georgia Regional Library (Augusta, Ga.)
Online Publisher: [Athens, Ga.] : Digital Library of Georgia, 2005
Original Material: North Augusta, S.C., Hunting Lodge. [New York] : Paul C. Koeber Co., [between 1900 and 1914] | Picturing Augusta: historic postcards from the collection of the East Central Georgia Regional Library System.
Rights and Usage: Cite as: [title of postcard], Augusta and Environs Picture Post Cards in Color, East Central Central Georgia Regional Library, as presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
Related Materials: Forms part of: Picturing Augusta: historic postcards from the collection of the East Central Georgia Regional Library System.
Persistent Link to Item: http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/hagp/id:aep029

Related Institutions: Digital Library of Georgia
East Central Georgia Regional Library (Augusta, Ga.)
Collection Information: Picturing Augusta: Historic Postcards from the Collection of the East Central Georgia Regional Library System