Home » Item Display

Oakland Cemetery

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Color transparencies | StillImage
Creator: Burch, Buford
Title: Oakland Cemetery
Date: 1969
Description: View of a mausoleum at Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia.

In 1850 the City of Atlanta purchased six acres of farmland for use as a public burial ground. In 1872 the burial grounds were named Oakland Cemetery, and had grown to encompass 88 acres. Most of this growth was to accommodate for the increased deaths during the Civil War as soldiers were moved from battle field graves. The cemetery is now run by the Historic Oakland Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the site as a historic landmark.

Subjects: Cemeteries--Georgia--Atlanta | Mausoleums--Georgia--Atlanta | Stone--Georgia--Atlanta | Austell, Alfred, 1814-1881 | Gothic revival (Architecture)--Georgia--Atlanta | Spires | Sepulchral monuments--Georgia--Atlanta | Oakland Cemetery (Atlanta, Ga.) | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.)
Contributors: Atlanta History Center
Online Publisher: Atlanta, Ga. : Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 2006
Original Material: 1 transparency : col. ; 35 mm. | Buford Burch Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA
Rights and Usage: This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Persistent Link to Item: http://album.atlantahistorycenter.com/store/Products/83059-oakland-cemetery.aspx

Related Institutions: Atlanta History Center
Collection Information: Buford Burch Photographs, 1969-1974