Home » Item Display

Atlanta Fire Station No. 1, Steam Fire Engine Company

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Gelatin silver prints | StillImage
Creator: Mathewson, Tracy B.
Title: Atlanta Fire Station No. 1, Steam Fire Engine Company
Date: 1910 Dec. 27
Description: View of Atlanta Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 at the burial of Captain D. C. Wylie. Pictured are; John M. Heinz, John Berkele, and Charles Heinz. The rest are unidentified.

The City of Atlanta Fire department was established in 1848 with volunteer firefighters. The last volunteer fire chiefs were elected in 1882. The Atlanta Fire Department continues service today with the mission to "To prevent or mitigate harm to life, property and the environment. "

Subjects: Fire fighters--Georgia--Atlanta | Fire departments--Georgia--Atlanta | Fire stations--Georgia--Atlanta | Men--Georgia--Atlanta | Men's clothing--Georgia--Atlanta | Suits (Clothing)--Georgia--Atlanta | Hats--Georgia--Atlanta | Atlanta (Ga.). Fire Dept. Station No. 1 | Funeral rites and ceremonies--Georgia--Atlanta | Volunteer fire departments--Georgia--Atlanta | Staffs (Sticks, canes, etc.)--Georgia--Atlanta | Wylie, D. C. | Heinz, John M. | Berkele, John | Heinz, Charles | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.)
Contributors: Atlanta History Center
Online Publisher: Atlanta, Ga. : Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 2006
Original Material: 1 photograph : sepia ; 8 x 10 in. | Steve B. Campbell Atlanta Fire Department Photographs
Rights and Usage: Cite as: MSS 587, Steve B. Campbell Papers, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Persistent Link to Item: http://album.atlantahistorycenter.com/store/Products/88848-atlanta-fire-station-no-1-steam-fire-engine-company.aspx

Related Institutions: Atlanta History Center
Collection Information: Steve B. Campbell Atlanta Fire Department Photographs, 1882-1972