Home » Item Display

Atlanta Art Association building

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Photographs | StillImage
Title: Atlanta Art Association building
Date: 1962 May
Description: View of the Atlanta Art Association (now the High Museum) building in Atlanta, Georgia.

Local identification number: VIS 107.09.01

The Atlanta Art Association was founded in 1905 and eventually became the High Museum of Art. Its first permanent location was a house on Peachtree Street donated by Mrs. Joseph M. High in 1926. In 1955, the Museum moved to a new building next to the house. In 1968 the Atlanta Memorial Arts Center was constructed around the existing museum in memory of the art patrons who died in a plane crash in Orly, France in 1962. The current building was constructed in 1983, and renovated and expanded in 2005. The High Museum of art is part of the Woodruff Arts Center.

Local identification number: ahc107009001a.jpg

Subjects: Art--Georgia--Atlanta | Buildings--Georgia--Atlanta | Organizations--Georgia--Atlanta | Galleries and museums--Georgia--Atlanta | Atlanta Art Association (Atlanta, Ga.) | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.) | Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
Contributors: Atlanta History Center
Online Publisher: Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305, 2006
Original Material: 4 x 5 in. black and white negative | Delta Air Lines Public Relations Department Photographs of Atlanta, Georgia., Atlanta History Center
Rights and Usage: This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Persistent Link to Item: http://collections.atlantahistorycenter.com/u?/DeltaAir,4

Related Institutions: Atlanta History Center
Collection Information: Delta Air Lines Public Relations Department Photographs of Atlanta, Georgia, 1953-1972