Home » Item Display

Grant Park

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Photographs | StillImage
Title: Grant Park
Date: 1962
Description: View of a group of children in Grant Park in Atlanta, Georgia.

Local identification number: VIS 107.41.12

Grant Park is the name of the oldest park in the city of Atlanta and for the surrounding neighborhood. The park was established in 1882 when engineer and businessman Lemuel P. Grant donated 100 acres of his land to the city of Atlanta. The city acquired an additional 44 acres in 1890. In 1889, the park became the site of a public zoo, and in 1892 the circular painting of the Battle of Atlanta was exhibited there. The painting known as the Atlanta Cyclorama would eventually gain its own dedicated building in the park in 1921.

Local identification number: ahc107041012a.jpg

Subjects: Parks--Georgia--Atlanta | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.) | Grant Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
Contributors: Atlanta History Center
Online Publisher: Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305, 2006
Original Material: 2 1/4 in. or smaller black and white negative | Delta Air Lines Public Relations Department Photographs of Atlanta, Georgia., Atlanta History Center
Rights and Usage: This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Persistent Link to Item: http://collections.atlantahistorycenter.com/u?/DeltaAir,50

Related Institutions: Atlanta History Center
Collection Information: Delta Air Lines Public Relations Department Photographs of Atlanta, Georgia, 1953-1972