Home » Item Display

Piedmont Park

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Photographs | StillImage
Title: Piedmont Park
Date: 1955
Description: View of Lake Clara Meer in Piedmont park in the Midtown area of Atlanta, Georgia.

Local identification number: VIS 107.55.01

The Gentleman's Driving Club (now the Piedmont Driving Club) purchased 189 acres of land in 1887 for the purposes of creating an exclusive club. On this ground, Piedmont Park was established by the Piedmont Exposition Company, to hold expositions and fairs. These fairs would include the Piedmont Exposition of 1887 and the Cotton States and International Exposition of 1895. In 1904, the City of Atlanta purchased Piedmont Park. The park is currently run through a public-private partnership.

Local identification number: ahc107055001a.jpg

Subjects: Parks--Georgia--Atlanta | Lakes and ponds--Georgia--Atlanta | Piedmont Park (Atlanta, Ga.) | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.) | Lake Clara Meer (Atlanta, Ga.)
Contributors: Atlanta History Center
Online Publisher: Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305, 2006
Original Material: 4 x 5 in. black and white negative | Delta Air Lines Public Relations Department Photographs of Atlanta, Georgia., Atlanta History Center
Rights and Usage: This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Persistent Link to Item: http://collections.atlantahistorycenter.com/u?/DeltaAir,61

Related Institutions: Atlanta History Center
Collection Information: Delta Air Lines Public Relations Department Photographs of Atlanta, Georgia, 1953-1972