Home » Item Display

Rich's Department Store

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Photographs | StillImage
Creator: Fisch, Joseph C., 1907-1966
Title: Rich's Department Store
Date: 1954
Description: View of the parking deck for Rich's Department Store in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.

Local identification number: VIS 172.107.003

Rich's Department Store was founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1867 by Morris Rich, a Hungarian-born immigrant. The business expanded over several decades, and eventually was located on the corner of Alabama and Broad Streets in downtown Atlanta. In the 1960s and 1970s the store opened in several other locations. In 1948 a seventy-foot live Christmas tree was first placed on the roof of Rich's downtown department store. Thereafter, the Lighting of the Great Tree became an Atlanta tradition. In 1960, several African American college students protested segregationist policies practiced by Rich's until the store agreed to desegregate its stores in 1961. Rich's department store was phased out in 2005.

Local identification number: ahc172107003a.jpg

Subjects: Department stores--Georgia--Atlanta | Newspapers--Georgia--Atlanta | Power industry | Parking garages--Georgia--Atlanta | Rich's (Retail store) | Atlanta Journal (Firm) | Georgia Power Company | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.)
Contributors: Atlanta History Center
Online Publisher: Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305, 2008
Original Material: 35 mm color transparency | Joseph C. Fisch Photographs, Atlanta History Center
Rights and Usage: This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreements may be required.
Persistent Link to Item: http://collections.atlantahistorycenter.com/u?/JCF,102

Related Institutions: Atlanta History Center
Collection Information: Joseph C. Fisch Photographs, 1954, 1963