Home » Item Display

Georgia General Assembly

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: StillImage | Photographs
Creator: Unknown
Title: Georgia General Assembly
Date: 1987
Description: View of members of the Georgia General Assembly in session in the House chamber at the Georgia State Capitol in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.

Local identification number: VIS 158.01.327

In 1870, the state of Georgia purchased the recently completed Atlanta Opera House at the corner of Marietta and Forsyth Streets in downtown Atlanta, Georgia to house the state capitol. Atlanta had been designated the temporary state capital in 1868 and became the permanent capital in 1877. The state legislature continued to meet in the building until 1889, when the current Georgia State Capitol building was completed.

Local identification number: ahc158001327a.jpg

Subjects: Politicians--Georgia | Politicians | Politics and government--Georgia--Atlanta | Legislators--Georgia | Legislative bodies--Georgia | Architectural elements--Georgia--Atlanta | Interiors--Georgia--Atlanta | Georgia State Capitol (Atlanta, Ga.) | Atlanta (Ga.) | Fulton County (Ga.)
Contributors: Atlanta History Center
Online Publisher: Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305, 2009
Original Material: Southline Press, Inc. Photographs, Atlanta History Center
Rights and Usage: This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Persistent Link to Item: http://collections.atlantahistorycenter.com/u?/southline,100

Related Institutions: Atlanta History Center
Collection Information: Southline Press, Inc. Photographs