|Click here to view the item (new window)|
|Description:||Downey Hospital. Photograph showing the old Downey Hospital that was located on South Sycamore Street. This structure was erected in 1912 by Dr. James H. Downey. It had 36 rooms and was one of the first hospitals to be placed on the fully accredited list in Georgia. The cost of this structure was nearly $60,000. The fracture table, an invention of Dr. Downey, was first used here. Dr. Cleveland D. Whelchel became manager of the institution, and Dr. John K. Burns, Sr. became a third partner in 1921.|
Caption: "Hall County Library Photo Collection (0226) Gainesville, Georgia."
Digitized by: Digital Techniques, Inc.
Electronic version made available through a federal Library Services and Technology Act Grant and Georgia Public Library Services.
|Subjects:||Downey Hospital | Hospitals--Georgia--Gainesville | Hall County (Ga.) | Gainesville (Ga.)|
|Contributors:||Hall County Library System (Ga.)|
|Online Publisher:||[Gainesville, Ga. : Hall County Library System], 2001|
|Original Material:||1 photograph : b&w ; 25 x 16 cm. | Forms part of: Hall County, Georgia historical photograph collection.|
|Rights and Usage:||Cite as: [Name of photograph], Hall County, Georgia historical photograph collection, Hall County Library System.|
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/hall/hchp/do:0226|
|Related Institutions:||Hall County Library System (Ga.)|
|Collection Information:||Hall County Georgia Historical Photograph Collection|
Home » Item Display