|Click here to view the item (new window)|
|Description:||Longstreet-Newton house. Photograph of the Longstreet-Newton house, a two-story frame house located at 746 Green Street. It was originally owned by Helen Dortch Longstreet, second wife of General James Longstreet (Robert E. Lee's "Old War Horse"). The house probably dates back to the turn of the century. The Catholic Church met in the basement. Charles Newton bought the house in 1916 and added the second story. The house was later owned by the Banks family. House is now used as an office building.|
Caption: "Hall County Library Photo Collection (0240) Gainesville, Georgia."
Digitized by: Digital Techniques, Inc.
Electronic version made available through a federal Library Services and Technology Act Grant and Georgia Public Library Services.
|Subjects:||Longstreet-Newton House (Gainesville, Ga.) | Longstreet, Helen Dortch, d. 1962 | Newton, Charles | Banks family | Dwellings--Georgia--Hall County | Dwellings--Georgia--Gainesville | Hall County (Ga.) | Gainesville (Ga.)|
|Contributors:||Hall County Library System (Ga.)|
|Online Publisher:||[Gainesville, Ga. : Hall County Library System], 2001|
|Original Material:||1 photograph : b&w ; 25 x 17 cm. | Forms part of: Hall County, Georgia historical photograph collection.|
|Rights and Usage:||Cite as: [Name of photograph], Hall County, Georgia historical photograph collection, Hall County Library System.|
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/hall/hchp/do:0240|
|Related Institutions:||Hall County Library System (Ga.)|
|Collection Information:||Hall County Georgia Historical Photograph Collection|
Home » Item Display