Home » Item Display

Ruins of crematory on Blackbeard Island

Click here to view the item (new window)
Type: Black-and-white photographs
Title: Ruins of crematory on Blackbeard Island
Description: Photograph of the ruins of the crematory on Blackbeard Island, Georgia. Built in 1904 on the north end of Blackbeard Island, this crematory is the only remaining structure from the quarantine era. A small arched metal door opens to the inside of the brick-walled incinerator. Grasses and plants grow on and around the ruins of the structure.

In 1880 the U.S. Marine Hospital Service opened the South Atlantic Quarantine Station at Blackbeard Island to monitor oceangoing shipping entering the Georgia ports of Savannah, Darien, and Brunswick. The quarantine station was built in response to the yellow fever epidemic of 1876, which claimed 1,000 lives in Savannah alone. Yellow fever, typically spread by mosquitoes, was usually introduced to the American mainland by ships arriving from tropical Caribbean waters. Vessels bound for U.S. southern Atlantic ports were required to report to Blackbeard for inspection and, if necessary, disinfection. Marine hospital records do not note that the crematory was ever used for its intended purpose -- to cremate the bodies of yellow fever victims.

Subjects: Barrier islands--Georgia | Crematoriums--Georgia--Blackbeard Island | Blackbeard Island (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc. | Historic buildings--Georgia--Blackbeard Island | Grasses--Georgia--Blackbeard Island | Public health--Georgia--Blackbeard Island | Quarantine--Georgia--Blackbeard Island | Buildings--Georgia--Blackbeard Island | Blackbeard Island (Ga.) | McIntosh County (Ga.)
Contributors: New Georgia Encyclopedia
Rights and Usage: Courtesy of Buddy Sullivan.
Related Materials: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/geography-environment/blackbeard-island | Forms part of: New Georgia Encyclopedia
Persistent Link to Item: http://georgiaencyclopedia.org/file/8566

Related Institutions: New Georgia Encyclopedia (Project)
Collection Information: New Georgia Encyclopedia