Thumbnail:
Click to view larger image:
aep006
Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Ga.
  
Title: Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Ga.
  
Date: 1900-1914
  
Description:

Postcard depicting the Old Medical College of Georgia at the turn of the twentieth century. The Old Medical College of Georgia was built between 1834 and 1835 by antebellum architect Charles Blaney Cluskey. Located at the southeast corner of Washington and Telfair Streets in Augusta, Georgia, the Old Medical College of Georgia exemplifies the Greek Revival architectural movement with its central rotunda and Doric portico. The history of the Medical College of Georgia stretches back to 1822 when the state of Georgia issued a charter to a group of local physicians for the Augusta Medical Society. In following years the Augusta Medical Society underwent several name changes before settling on the Medical College of Georgia in 1833. Classes were held at the Old Medical College of Georgia between the years of 1835 and 1913 when the college moved to larger quarters. Since 1913 the Old Medical College of Georgia building was used by Richmond Academy as well as various civic and social organizations. In 1990 the building was restored by the Medical College of Georgia Foundation.

Original postcard scanned and described by the Digital Library of Georgia as a part of Georgia HomePLACE: an initiative of the Georgia Public Library Service and GALILEO.

  
Subjects: University of Georgia. Medical Dept. | Medical College of Georgia | Old Medical College of Georgia Building (Augusta, Ga.) | Medical colleges--Georgia--Augusta | Augusta (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc. | Medical College of Georgia Foundation--Pictorial works | Cluskey, Charles Blaney, ca. 1806-1871 | Picture postcards | Augusta (Ga.) | Richmond County (Ga.)
  
Contributors: Augusta-Richmond County Public Library System (Augusta, Ga.) | Digital Library of Georgia | Picturing Augusta Collection (Digital Library of Georgia)
  
Online publisher: [Athens, Ga.] : Digital Library of Georgia, 2005.
  
Original material: 1 postcard : col. ill.
Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Ga. [New York] : Rotograph Co., [between 1900 and 1914]
Picturing Augusta: historic postcards from the collection of the Augusta-Richmond County Public Library System.
  
Rights: Cite as: [title of postcard], Augusta and Environs Picture Post Cards in Color, East Central Central Georgia Regional Library, as presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
  

Return to Picturing Augusta Homepage

Previous Postcard   Previous Postcard
Table of Contents   Table of Contents
Next Postcard   Next Postcard