First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Area 1

The following film clip documents a tornado victim being wheeled on a stretcher to the First Methodist Church immediately following the tornado strike. First Methodist Church, located on the corner of Academy and North Green Streets, emerged relatively unscathed. The minimal damage coupled with the church’s convenient location two blocks north of the Public Square made it an ideal headquarters for the American Red Cross. Additionally, in the hours and days following the tornado disaster, the church transformed its basement into a temporary morgue and converted its Sunday school into an emergency operating clinic where doctors and nurses worked by the light of kerosene lamps.

Film footage

Clip of a tornado victim on a stretcher being wheeled down the rain-soaked sidewalk by several men, Gainesville, Georgia, 1936 April 6
film clip