First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Area 2
The following film clips document tornado victims entering and leaving the First Methodist Church immediately following the tornado strike. First Methodist Church, located on the corner of Academy and North Green Streets, emerged relatively unscathed. The minimal damage coupled with the church’s convenient location two blocks north of the Public Square made it an ideal headquarters for the American Red Cross. Additionally, in the hours and days following the tornado disaster, the church transformed its basement into a temporary morgue and converted its Sunday school into an emergency operating clinic where doctors and nurses worked by the light of kerosene lamps.
- Clip of a tornado victim on a stretcher being carried up the steps of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South by several men, Gainesville, Georgia, 1936 April 6