Georgia Power Company Substation, Area 1

The following film clip depicts the destruction caused by the 1936 tornado to the Georgia Power Company Substation located on Maple Street, less than one block north of the Public Square. Further damage to the city was prevented due to the heroic effort of C. D. Young, a Georgia Power Company employee, who ran to the Maple Street substation and turned off the current to a 38,000 volt line that supplied power to the city. Crews of Georgia Power Company employees were dispatched from Atlanta immediately following the tornado and power was restored to most of the city on the following day.

Film footage

Clip of men erecting scaffolding outside the Georgia Power Company Substation, Gainesville, Georgia, 1936 April 6
film clip